We provide a great mechanism for US and International medical professionals (doctors, dentists, optometrists) to live the Los Médicos Voladores experience. Simply fly commercial into one of our gateway cities (San Jose, Sacramento, Reno), join our team on a private aircraft as we fly into a remote village in northern Mexico, conduct a great clinic, enjoy a day or so of unbelievable R&R, then return. Or get involved in an LMV trip to Latin America and join us in the destination country. Contact Us to arrange an experience you're not likely to forget, but one you'll almost certainly want to repeat again and again.
The Flying Doctors - International Chapter
|March 8-15 2014
||Ile a Vache
|March 16-23 2014
||Ile a Vache
|November 23-29 2014
In early 2014, we anticipated three medical and dental clinics with the first two in Ile a Vache and the third in the Southeast portion of Haiti. After the first two clinics we realized we had several of our patients that required specialized surgery in a hospital setting. We then decided to not return to the Southeast, but to coordinate a surgical clinic that recently took place in November of this year in the Bas Limbe area of northern Haiti. A summary of all three clinics is provided in the following Trip Report. We have not highlighted the names of most of the incredible team members involved but you know who you are and we are forever in your debt.
Flying Doctors in Oasis-Thermal from Gregory Lindsey on Vimeo.
Los Médicos Voladores (the Flying Doctors) is a non-profit group that provides free clinics to communities in need of healthcare in Mexico, Central and South America, and part of southeast California.
The Oasis-Thermal clinic held at Desert Mirage High School on September 28, 2013, attracted several hundred patients. Many people in the area do not have health insurance and are in need of medical attention.
We are proud to share that our own Dr. Stephan A. Los has been recognized for his continuing work bringing dental care to the people of Mexico through the Flying Doctors. Huzzah Dr. Los!
The first LMV quarterly board meeting for 2015 was January 24, at San Martin airport in South Santa Clara County (E16). The meeting is hosted by the Bay Area chapter and will run from 10 A.M. to 2 P.M. We intend to make the meeting available on Webcast as well and to viewers who may want to submit questions or comments on-line. The focus of this very important meeting was to highlight LMV’s successes of the past several years, review the current state of LMV, and tap into the participating membership in charting a course for LMV’s future.
Wanted to attend but could not make the drive/flight? Watch after the fact at your leisure. Info links:
See attached article.
by Ronald E. Fritz, DDS, MPH
As the plane climbed upward out of Zihuatanejo, circling for a final view of the beautiful Zihuatanejo Bay before heading east toward Mexico City and Oaxaca, I reflected on an inspiring week of dental mission.
Highlights Go to Full Text of Report
- We streamlined the registration and intake process this year and, as a result, were able to have 25-35 patients ready for admission to each of the 3 major clinics by 7:45
- Initial clinic numbers were given out after consulting with the lead person in each clinic about capacity.
- Giving out limited spaces with assurances that numbered slots will be seen encouraged people to use more of the services at Oasis.
- There were 5 very busy hygienists this year.
- Other services included physical therapy, dispensary, chiropractic and acupuncture; there were also flu shots, glucose testing, mammograms, and hearing tests.
- This year we organized the flow to the referrals table so that medical patients needing follow up care in the community were escorted to community clinic volunteers for immediate sign up and appointment scheduling.
- There were 69 LMV sign-ups for Oasis -- down from previous years.
Volunteer with Tzu Chi
Los Médicos Voladores has a happy and benificial relationship with Tzu Chi. We co-run our stateside clinics with them. Their support and participation makes it possible to run the Oasis and Riverside clinics on a grander scale.
Tzu Chi also runs many clinics locally through their San Jose' Chapter. They have shared their schedule with us (click Read More) if you would like to join in on their local clinics.
To participate, please contact Tzu Chi Mobile Clinic (Milpitas) for more information.
Read more: Volunteer with Tzu Chi